Wednesday, January 11, 2012

ROOTS, SHOOTS, AND SEEDS
my attempts at plant propagation


Rainy, dreary day today, just the type of day I like to spend in the greenhouse.  This morning I am starting some more seeds.  Round one is under the grow lights already, and some are already sprouting.

cotton is already up!
getting ready to start another round of seeds
Round two will include some plants for the Master Gardener All American Selections
garden.  My assigned seeds include:  Echinacea 'Powwow Wild Berry', Eggplant 'Hansel' and 'Gretel'
Gaillardia 'Arizona Apricot', Osteospermum 'Asti White', Salvia 'Summer Jewel Red', and Zinnia 'Double Zahara Cherry'.   Look for these and more of the All American Selections out at the Master Gardener Display Gardens.    Here are photos of my seeds, courtesy of All American Selections.
Echinacea 'Powwow Wild Berry'

Salvia 'Summer Jewel Red'


Gaillardia 'Arizona Apricot'
Osteospermum 'Asti White'



Zinnia 'Double Zahara Cherry'
Eggplant 'Gretel'


Eggplant 'Hansel'
Back in November, I started some plants from root cuttings for a demonstration at our Master Gardener meeting.  I had never done this before, so was extremely happy to see how easy it was, and more importantly that it actually WORKS!  The trick is finding plants that respond to this type of propagation, not all plants can be propagated successfully by root cuttings.  Fortunately I had several in my yard that can be propagated this way:  acanthus, oriental poppies, anemones, hydrangeas, so I will definitely do this again.
cuttings from a lovely little begonia and
a geranium 'Skies of Italy'

Acanthus from root cuttings, rosemary from stem cuttings
I also do plants from cuttings.  I have good success with rosemary, hibiscus, begonias, and annual geraniums.  Using rooting hormone and bottom heat generally helps encourage root formation.  With this and root cuttings, overwatering is fatal, so I have to remind myself to not kill them with kindness by watering too much.
For more information on plant propagation, and All American Selections:
Purdue Publications:  http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/menu.htm HO-037 New Plants from Cuttings, CD-HO-3 Plant Propagation
"The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Flowers from Seed to Bloom" by Eileen Powell  (this has been my go-to book for many questions on starting plants from seeds.  Most helpful)

No comments:

Post a Comment